Thursday, January 1, 2009

Let Me Add Mine to the Plans for 2009

I got the following quotes from The Dude Abides (blog on my list below):

"We have the power to choose, moment by moment, who and how we want to be in the world." - Jill Bolte Taylor "My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey"

"Lord, protect my family and me. Forgive my sins, and help me guard against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will." - Barack Obama's prayer at the Western Wall in Jerusalem.

I have decided to use these quotes in this first post of the 2009 New Year. There are so many ways to state and restate what these two have so eloquently said. But the truth is, I affirm what they mean in my own life.

I do believe in resolutions but not for the same reasons that others may make them. A resolution for me is an affirmation of faith, of what we already know to be true that needs to be manifested into reality, of what we have heard God whisper deep in our spirits that we must stand upon as a testament that our lives must be lived on purpose and with purpose in mind. So my resolution for this year is to live as lovingly, honestly, and forgivingly as I can. I resolve before God and man to be the woman God intends for me to be and to make an impact in this earth as only I can.

About three weeks ago, I taught the second installment of Write Outloud at the school where I work. And the one truth I wanted the young poets under my charge for those 90 minutes to get was that they all have a voice, they all have passion, and they all have purpose. I wanted them to understand that their words are powerful weapons. And this year, I resolve not only to help young people use their individual voices but also to use my own in a more public, open format.

I know that one if not all my books will be published this year, and to be a public writer in contrast to a closet writer is a very great responsiblity so I must do my very best to tell the truth God deems I tell. I must not take lightly the blessings sure to come my way this year, just like I must learn the lessons God wills for me to learn through the hard seasons that may come as well. And both will come. That is what life is about.

I resolve to embrace God and my destiny with much more sincerity and focus this year. I resolve not to turn down an opportunity to live in freedom and truth just because those opportunities may have never been done before. I owe that to my God and to this world. To do anything less would be a sacrilege.

What about you?

No comments: