Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day


This morning when I came into work our principal made an announcement that it was okay to turn on CNN so the kids could watch the inauguration festivities, so they could be a part in a very small way of this historic day in American history. I do not remember in my early years of education of seeing something so profound playing across my classroom television screens, except perhaps the viewing of the Challenger explosion.

But for this predominantly African-American high school, this is not a sad occasion. This is an exciting moment for the students here. And for me as well. Tears are building in my eyes as I look at the sheer numbers of people blanketing the memorial mall area in DC.

My aunt, my mother's sister Pamela, is there this morning. She received a ticket from someone she knew and was able to take time off from work to travel to Washington DC for this event. Then my mom's best friend's sister Bev hooked her up with a hotel room available until Thursday when there were no rooms available anywhere. At any case, she helped my aunt out, and now I am living vicariously through her.

I told my mom to tell her that she is an ambassador for our family, a representative of my grandparents' lineage, standing in proxy for them - though I know they are watching from heaven. She will be standing in DC watching this amazing moment for us all. I am planning to call her later so she can tell me what it felt like to be there. I wish I could have gone with her, but this was not my opportunity.

One day, I am making the vow to myself to take my nieces and nephews to DC while Barack Obama is in the White House. I wish they could meet our new president but even if they can't I want them to know that this is their generation's time to stand up and make a difference in this world. They have an obligation to do just that in their lifetimes. I expect nothing less from them. This is their day; this is our time. Change is indeed here...TODAY...RIGHT NOW...for us all.

Happy inauguration day, everyone!

No comments: