Wednesday, November 6, 2013

MOVING, MOVING, MOVING

So we are moving in three days....moving from the first apartment we shared as husband and wife, and now, we are moving into the home we have been waiting for.  We both are excited about the prospect of NEVER MOVING AGAIN.  But for me, and I suspect for Mr., this move signifies that we are moving into a new phase of marriage.  We are really in it and I love being IN IT.

Every time we walk into the house and soften our hearts to match the beauty of hard wood floors and a stone fire place and soothing colors on the walls that make me want to paint pictures to enhance even more, we know we are home.  We feel like we belong there, that we have found that place that will hold so many of our memories.  I could see it from the first time that I walked in the door.  And in three days we will call this place our home.

There is a huge difference between living in a house and living in a home.

As a little girl, the one thing I longed for more than anything else was a home.  We lived in a lot of apartments, many of which didn't have much green space.  My grandparents house was a home, and when my grandfather passed away my grandmother moved to a new home that became a refuge for all of us at some point or another.  One thing I always said was I wanted my children to never know what it was like to live in a home that wasn't theirs.  It is still very important to me that they grow up in the a house of their own, that will be a generational blessing to them should they decide to keep it long after their father and I are gone to be with the Lord.

It's not about owning a piece of the American Dream, per se.  That's a nice thought.  For me, it's about having a place to belong, a place to raise my children, a place to watch them grow up in those bedrooms that will likely be painted new colors and be decorated with toys and books and little clothes.  My mom wanted  wanted to give me these things when I was a little girl, but because of her injury on the job three decades ago she was denied the chance.  I believe that she will have it again for herself, but I also believe that she will have a home soon too.  I am living her dream too, which makes this all the more sweeter in my eyes...that my mom is here to see me live out that aspiration too.

No comments: