Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Little Girl and Her Baby






The pictures I have posted with this entry is of my little girl Tae, otherwise known as my niece, and her son. Since the moment she was born 17 years ago I have loved her so very deeply. The second I laid eyes on her I knew that I would never be the same. She would change my definition of love and family. My brother's ex-girlfriend had her when they were both 19 and were totally not ready to be parents (and in many ways they still aren't - sorry, I hate to say it, but they are both 36 year old kids). But she appeared in our worlds anyway - ready or not. And she is still here doing her thing as only she can do it - making us all re-think our perspectives on life. And in the midst of it, we can't help but love her. I know I can't.

She is now 17, a junior in high school, and is a mother herself. It rocked my world when she got pregnant at 15. I was so scared for her and for her child. Mainly, I was scared that she would never shine as brightly as she was born to do. But she is shining. She IS shining like a star despite the difficulties being a teen mother can bring. I love her so much for her resiliency, and I never fail to tell her that.

The picture shows my little girl's beauty; it also shows what I saw the first day I ever met her in Butterworth hospital 17 years ago. It shows a beautiful girl destined to change the world. And she will. She was born to be a trailblazer and a world-changer, and part of my plans in myowne life is to help her do just that.

The little boy in the first two pictures (with all the beautiful hair) is her son. She loves her Squirmy as she calls him. His name is Jeremy and he reminds me so much of her when she was his age - same eyes, same smile, same personality. I am nostalgic for those days; I really am. No matter what, I know that she will be as good a mother as she can be because she knows how to ask for help and she doesn't want her son to be anything less than the best. She will be graduating high school next year, and I wonder what her life will be like when she enters adulthood. I want her to be successful; I always tell her this. And she is determined that she will be. That's all anybody can ask. Really.

1 comment:

Eb the Celeb said...

Whoa that's a lot of responsibility to take on so young... but she is lucky to have family like you that supports her