Saturday, April 10, 2010

Father to the Fatherless

My book is in the final stages of production through Xlibris Publishing. I chose to self-publish rather than wait and wait for a publisher to pick it up. I had sent the book to various publishers two years ago and had some positive responses. However, because of the economy no one wanted to take a risk on an unknown author, no matter how good the concept or how good the read.

So?

I took a risk on myself - invested my own money in the project, marketed the book before it was even out amongst friends, family, and co-workers. I am not looking to be at the top of the New York Times Bestseller list (though that would be nice). I am not even looking for reviews in literary magazines.

I have a message that I believe God wants me to say to this present generation, and no editor at a publishing company can dictate when that message should get out. I know that mainstream publishing is the way to go if you want to make a name for yourself. But right now, that is NOT the most important message I want to send. Lots of people de-bunk self publishing, but I happen to believe that if you have worked for years on a project you believe in, you put your money where your mouth is and push that thing out for yourself. You don't wait on anybody and you don't hide behind the mantra that you wrote the book simply for the work's sake.

That is admirable but it wouldn't be true. I think it is better to be truthful with yourself - especially as a creative person. If you are writing, painting, singing, acting, and sculpting just for the work's sake, then wonderful and keep at it because it is accomplishing the purpose meant for it. But if you are opening a vein and pouring out of yourself, then be real about that too. If you intend for your work to reach an audience, drive it there yourself. Wait for no man to affirm your gift; affirm yourself and others will follow.

It would be a horrible thing to put that manuscript in a box under my bed because the publishing companies that could publish it don't think it's worth the risk. I happen to believe I and my book am worth the risk, so I will handle the business of getting my book into the right hands myself. If I don't believe in me, who else will?

The book should hopefully be released and available for purchase by the middle of May. Stay tuned!

No comments: