Thursday, June 25, 2009

What Happens When We Fight Back...

A couple months ago I wrote about a major issue that was taking place in my family that had literally thrown me to my knees. My niece and her siblings had been placed in foster care, though my niece and one of her sisters should have been placed with their fathers or their fathers' families. My mother and I decided to join alongside my brother in the fight for his rights as a father to parent his child or at least to have a say-so in where his daughter should go, since her mother had not maintained her parental standing.

I talked about the frustrations of watching how Michigan and specifically Kent County had botched the case and how our family had been literally undergone character assassination every time we stood up in protest. It has not been an easy battle but I believed then, as I still do now, that families should not be splintered and the real battle was between us and Satan himself, the chief destroyer of families.

It has taken what seems like forever (but really only since November) to get some measure of victory. The truth is God taught my hands to war with wisdom and with the gifts and abilities He has given me to wage war spiritually and naturally. The pen is truly mightier than the sword. The Spirit of God instructed me on how to complete an impacting fight as a Christian by using that same pen.

I wrote a formal complaint to the state, wrote letters to others, and stood in faith believing that I was standing on the side of righteousness against racism, classism, and even judicial injustice. After God showed me where to go and what to do, He taught me how to trust Him and wait.

And now, my family has regained custody of my niece, and in fact, I am still fighting to keep the girls together ultimately if they are not returned to the permanent care of their mother. The battle we waged shook some pretty influential places and positions and I believe it made lots of people remember that truth prevails, even if that truth comes from the mouth of a seemingly insignifcant African-American grandmother and her big-mouth wordsmith of a daughter.

The end result I hope is much bigger than a victory for my family. I hope other families will begin strengthening their families too so that children aren't separated by a system that truly means well but sometimes makes life-altering mistakes that the children will pay for for the rest of their lives.

Thank you to those who prayed for my brother, my niece, and my family. We certainly needed it then, and we still need it now. There is much more to the story that is in fact still happening but this is where God has brought us for now. One thing I know for sure, those who believe in the cause of the Kingdom of God should never remain silent in the face of injustice - even if you don't know if it matters or not. Your voice matters more than you can ever know.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sorry your family has to deal with these issues...
its sad how we have to fight eachother
for such a cause as who gets to keep the
children.. i feel its wrong.. and it shouldnt
have to happen in the first place.. but sometimes
its for the best...
my mom had this issue for a wile
things were not good at my dads house
after they divorced and i dont believe any
child should have to deal with a divorce..
it does no good for their minds..
well its been a continuing battle to prove
he is not a worthy parent.
but i pray... and it recently has payed off...
things are much more in order now that
he is not a huge part in our lives...
so much less stress...
i will pray for your brother, you niece, and nephew.
its a terrible thing for children to have to grow up
with... but is usually for the better...
i hope things get better...

Myowne said...

Thank you Guinevere...It hasn't been easy, which is why I was pretty stressed sometimes at work. But God does have the final say. I am glad that your situation worked out too. I am glad your lives are happier.